The dawn of JSC Spodriba dates back to 1921 when a footwear cream manufacturing company “Mednis and partners” /“Mednis un biedri”/ was founded in Riga. In 1927 the footwear cream obtained a Grand-Prix prize for distinguished achievements in the exhibition in Paris. At the end of the 20-ties of the previous century this cream was used by approximately 80% of the Latvian population and it is still produced by Spodriba, which is certainly improved to meet the modern requirements.
In 1941, the factory SPODRIBA was established by merging and nationalizing several factories.
In 1960, the production units of the factory were moved to Dobele where new production units and administration premises of the factory were built in the territory of the old mill.
In 1974, the factory SPODRIBA where approximately 550 employees worked at that time was included in the society “Latvbithim” which was a component of the USSR company “Sojuzbithim”.
In 1994, the State privatization process was started as a result of which the factory SPODRIBA became a joint-stock company.
In 2005, JSC Chemical factory “Spodriba” involved investors from Iceland which allowed to increase the turnover of the company and
in 2006, the Icelandic investors bought the factory.
In 2007, Spodriba started to sell its products with a new logotype “Seal” which means the animal “seal” and has always been considered as a symbol of water, cleanness and virgin land. A seal was also a symbol of the previous brand of Spodriba.
In 2012, the name JSC Chemical factory “Spodriba” was changed to JSC “SPODRIBA”.
In the course of decades the assortment of the manufactured products has been expanded and improved. Currently, the factory offers various cleaning agents and detergents for home, clothing, footwear, gardening, as well as other household agents in different packings. Now, Spodriba is the largest manufacturer of houehold chemicals in Latvia. The company also manufactures body care products and plans to develop wider manufacturing of cosmetics